Join as a MEMBER, and really make a DIFFERENCE
Joining Cycle Action as a full member is easy. Simply fill in our join form and confirm your membership by paying the appropriate fee by direct credit into our bank account: 38-9001-0980291-00
(please place your first and last name in the reference).
Alternatively we can post you a membership brochure so you can pay by cheque, email us with your name and address.
Why should you join?
- your numbers give us more backing when we fight for change
- your financial support helps us to do more for you and all Auckland cyclists
- as we are a registered charity, you’ll be able to claim any donations as a tax rebate
- you’ll get member discounts on CAN merchandise (e.g. the ‘One Less Car’ waterproof reflective backpack covers)
- get CAN’s ChainLinks magazine and e.CAN email newsletter, with cycling news from around the country and overseas
Cycle Action is affiliated to the Cycling Advocates’ Network (CAN), so all Cycle Action members are also automatically members of CAN and receive full CAN member benefits.
What is the money used for?
- Cycling-related events (like for the Cycle Style fashion show, or the Bike for Life events)
- Seed funding for valuable cycling initiatives, like the “Mums & Bubs” familiy cycling campaign or the “Good Bunch” sports cycling code of conduct initiatives
- Publicity materials, public meeting costs (hall hire, catering), web hosting costs
- Subsidising CAA members on technical training courses and conferences
- All your money is directly used for cycling-related purposes – CAA has no paid staff
Annual membership fees:
If you have any inquiries, contact our membership secretary.
Donations are welcome and most gratefully accepted! Remember your donation also qualifies for a tax rebate.
How else can you get involved?
Write a letter to your local community paper or the NZ Herald (e-mail: email@example.com) on a cycling issue you’re concerned about. Be sure to end your letter on a positive or at least polite note and proof read it before hitting the ‘send’ button!
Drop along to your Local Board. Tell them about cycling activity in your area, how it would be great to get more people out of their cars to foster a greater sense of community, and the barriers that prevent this. Talk to a Committee member for support information if needed.
If you see them while out on your bike, report unsafe road conditions (or lack of cycle facilities) to Council / Auckland Transport.
We can’t say this often enough: The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Ask for change – don’t be shy about requesting that authorities fix things that endanger you, or to highlight how they can make things better for a wonderful mode of transport.
Cycle Action is a voluntary organisation without any paid staff and we run on donations and membership dues – but most of all, on passion. We always appreciate members who have time to help out with:
- once-off participation on something that you feel strongly about
- being available as a resource we can call upon
- marketing Cycle Action to increase our membership
- fund-raising to enable us to continue to provide seed funding for initiatives
- write in to Council or Auckland Transport when we ask you to do so on our blog
- help with writing official CAA submissions and presenting to the authorities
Please email if you are interested, or simply turn up at one of our meetings (see below).
Come along to a public meeting of Cycle Action’s committee. Find out more about what we get up to and see if you’d like to get more involved. We also occasionally hold meetings that are specifically targeted at the public, but none of our monthly meetings are really “closed shop”.
Monthly meetings are held at the Auckland Art Gallery Cafe – a a relaxed way to find out what CAA is about, and maybe help out on a specific project. Or just enjoy a coffee with other people passionate about a cycling city.
Check the CAA Associates tag for the next meeting.