We’re working for a better city for people on bikes
But more than that: we believe that more people on bikes makes for a better city. Call it a virtuous cycle. Bike Auckland mobilises people power for a better city on bikes. As the independent voice for cycling in T?maki Makaurau Auckland, we lead the push for positive change, on behalf of everyone who rides a bike in our city – and everyone who would love to give it a go.
What does a bike-friendly
Auckland look like?
- All kinds of people on all kinds of bikes
- All streets are safe and pleasant to ride on
- A citywide network of top quality bike lanes, smooth off-road cycleways, and greenways through parks
- Neighbourhoods and town centres celebrate the joy of getting around on bikes – and encourage it by slowing down car traffic for the sake of pedestrians and cyclists
- Bikes connect us with walking and public transport, and to shops, work and play – and give us one more choice every day of how we get about
- Bikeshare schemes give us a hop-on, hop-off choice of riding bikes when we need one
- SkyPath finally joins the dots and lets us cross the harbour under our own steam! (Add in SeaPath, Glen Innes to Tamaki, the North Western cycleway and other major links and we’re really getting somewhere.)
- Epic bike events bring us together in big numbers to share the fun.
How we’ll know when we get there:
- You can choose to bike for fun or transport, any day of the week
- You don’t have to think and plan just to find a safe cycle route
- Kids enjoy the freedom of biking wherever they want to
- Workplaces, shops, and schools encourage people to arrive on bikes
- Everyone who drives keeps an eye out for people on bikes
- Every time a road is changed, it’s made safer for people on bikes
- There’s bike parking everywhere you go
- The question isn’t ‘why bike?’ It’s ‘where, when, how often and with whom’!
- The mayor shows up to official events on two wheels (or one, or three, we’re not fussy.)
- E-bikes are an option for where (and when) people feel the need to ‘flatten the hills’
- From the top down – whether it’s planning by central government, Auckland Council, Auckland Transport, or Local Boards – people on bikes are part of the picture from the get-go
Our vision and history
This is what we’re working for – and bit by bit, we’re winning. If you share this vision, join us. The more of us there are, the louder our voice… and the faster we’ll get there.
Meet our team
Bike Auckland mobilises people power for a better city on bikes. We lead the push for positive change, on behalf of everyone who rides a bike in our city – and everyone who would love to give it a go.
Chief Biking Officer
Head of Infrastructure
Legal Engagement Officer
Volunteer and Events Manager