- This event has already happened.
Here Comes The Sun – a Pt Chev play street
November 1, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Hey, Pt Chev – let’s meet on the street!
“Here Comes the Sun” is a community play street event, brought to you by Bike Pt Chev and Pt Chevalier School with support from neighbours and community groups.
On Friday 1 November from 8am to 8pm, we’re transforming Te R? Road outside the primary school into an all-day car-free play space, that’s closed to traffic and open for people.
Inspired by the international movements for School Streets and Play Streets, we’re welcoming summertime by shining a light on how our streets can be healthy and happy places for people of all ages.
8am – 9am: The fun begins before school, with a wide open traffic-free street where children can play, scoot and bike, while parents and teachers share coffee and chat.
9am – 3pm: During the school day, Te R? Road will become an open-air classroom for fun and creative learning activities, with visits from other schools, kindergartens, and community groups.
3pm – 8pm: After school, everyone’s invited to come and play! As afternoon rolls into evening, the street fills with music and old-fashioned fun and games, plus food trucks from 5pm – 8pm, for a neighbourhood street party vibe until sunset.
• Walk, bike, or scoot to the event, and enjoy free and secure valet bike parking from 3pm.
• Dine at the Auckland Food Truck Collective food trucks, or bring a picnic dinner.
• Visit the Bike Pt Chev info tent, check out the Safe Kids driveway safety display, and Auckland Transport will be on hand with info about upcoming streetscape projects.
• We’ll have games and activities to share, but feel free to bring your own, too.
• The event is smoke-free, no alcohol and zero-waste, for good clean fun. BYO coffee mugs for free coffees from 8am-9am!
• All ages are welcome, but please leave dogs at home this time.
Here Comes The Sun is supported and funded by the Albert-Eden Local Board’s Neighbourhood Arts Programme, and brought to you by Pt Chevalier School and Bike Pt Chev in proud partnership with Auckland Transport and NZ Transport Agency/Waka Kotahi (as an Innovating Streets For People case study), with generous support from MacGregor Brothers Espresso, BISC, and Professionals Point Chevalier.