We love to hear what local bike groups are up to, and what they’re up against. Send us your news! Here’s a recent update on the view from “overseas” by the fabulous Tanya Batt from Cycle Action Waiheke.
On Sunday April 12, ’Sola’ the orange electric bike and I headed across the sea to take part in Auckland’s ‘Open Streets’ event on Quay Street.
From 10 – 4pm part of Quay Street was closed to car traffic and pedal and foot traffic took to the streets. There were bike powered smoothies to be drunk, cycle repair centres, performers of all flavours, building with boxes, community cycle groups and lots more. My personal favourite was the group dressed up as fruit and veg on bikes – ‘Meals on Wheels!’ Adding to the mix was the nearby Japan Day in the Cloud, spilling out onto the road with people in kimonos and the smell of delicious Japanese food.
All this prompted me to think about what was happening on Waiheke with bikes and so here it is – an official Waiheke Bike Update.
1. The bike racks are back on the buses. Three cheers for Doug Hudson and Fullers as these things don’t come cheap!
With winter coming and the onset of early dark and wet – it’s a comfort to know you can swing a bike/bus combo.
2. Bike Sunday every week 10am at the Onetangi Sports Park – bike skills, fun and training for kids from five to fifty five. Contact Gary Wilton and the Waiheke Mountain Bike Club.
3. Cycle Action Waiheke is now officially a supporting member of Cycle Action Auckland. We’re looking forward to getting cycle friendly with our overseas biking community.
4. There are whispers of a Waiheke route being considered for Nga Haerenga/ the National Cycle Trail. Nothing official, but you can check out the other great cycleways.
5. The new cycle, pedestrian, bridle routes from the O’Brien’s Rd turn off to Erua Road are still in the process of becoming. This will be a welcome addition to our cycle paths when all the paper work is done and dusted.
If you’re keen to be kept in the loop with all things bike and Waiheke – drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.