Warmer weather and daylight saving… two weeks of school holidays and a three-day Labour Weekend… the sweet, sweet scent of spring in the air… hmmm… that sounds like BIKETOBER! And it’s back for 2019!
Every October, we invite Aucklanders to dream up fun activities on wheels, all across the city, all month long. Festivity is the aim of the game. If it’s fun and it’s on wheels, it goes on the calendar. We want to highlight the way bikes enliven, empower, and enlighten our communities. Mostly, we just want you to have a blast on bikes!
How does Biketober work?
Biketober events are self-run, leaving unlimited capacity for local input and maximum creativity! Rides, meet-ups, hands-on workshops, biking to events… anything that makes you want to dust off your bike and get some fresh air.
Bike Auckland hosts the calendar of events, and we can also share resources to help you plan and deliver your local activities.
We’ll also help promote your event, and share success stories so others can pick up ideas and pedal with them!
How do I be a part of Biketober?
- Let us know about any bike events you’re planning.
- Got an idea for an event? Let us know and we’ll do our best to help you bring it to life.
- Just show up! Once our calendar launches, you can check out all the events and head along to anything you fancy.
Fill in this form with as much info as you can about your planned or prospective event, and we’ll get back to you ASAP.
Depending on the nature of your event, you may be eligible for support from the Auckland Transport Community Bike Fund, which is open for applications until 29 September. Find out more here.
Keen to run an event, but looking for ideas?
Our Christchurch cuzzies also have a jam-packed Biketober calendar that’s always inspiring. And for inspiration from further afield, you can check out the amazing calendar of Portland’s famous Pedalpalooza.
And here are a few more starter ideas…
- Bike the Maunga – ride up Auckland’s volcanoes
- Food tour rides – dumplings, donuts, dessert?
- Cargo bike parade
- Pump Track Party
- Full Moon Night Ride (Monday 14 Oct!)
- Halloween Ride
- Sunrise coffee ride
- Unicorn ride – sparkles, rainbows and glitter!
- Secret alleyways of the neighbourhood
- Frocks on Bikes
- Suits on Bikes: bring it, gents!
- Murder Mystery Ride
- Zombie Ride
- Treasure Hunt On Wheels
- Books on bikes – a tour of libraries and bookshops
- Bike-in movies/ Bike to the movies
- Community garden tour
- Bike skills workshops
- Bike to the beach for a spring swim
- Urban hill climb
- Bike to school day
- Tiny stride bike Grand Prix