As well as the exciting news that the Westhaven boardwalk promenade is now open, AT have also announced an interim cycle path to link North Wharf to the new boardwalk.
- This is an interim facility. The preferred long term solution is a separated facility but there are many hurdles to overcome.
- Again on street parking was a big issue.
- AT has gone to extraordinary lengths and some cost to ensure little or no loss of on street parking.
- the long term solution is likely to impact parking on the east side of Beaumont significantly.
- The facility will comprise mainly of a shared path with a buffer on Beaumont St.
- The carriage way is very tight at Sailors Corner (the intersection of Beaumont and Wwesthaven Dr). Currently towing vehicles frequently track across the center line to get around the corner. AT propose to narrow down this section further by 0.5m to create the shared path. Firstly AT will trial the feasibility of reducing the carriage way. If it deemed not feasible then the route may have a discontinuity (i.e. cyclists to dismount) until the long term solution is implemented (which removes the perpendicular parking). This would obviously be undesirable but I am willing to accept the results of the trial.