In 1903, the Birkdale Cycle League built three miles of bicycle track from Highbury Corner to Birkdale. “The first road cycle track made in the colony” was funded by donations, including a barrel of tar and a quantity of sawdust. The path was opened with a grand celebration hosted by the Mayor of Birkenhead; after a picnic and speeches, 300 riders set off on a ride along the new route. The new track quickly lifted property values in the district. (Image: Auckland Libraries Heritage Collection)

The opening of the Birkdale Cycle Track, 21 March 1903. (Image: NZ Graphic, 28 March 1903. Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections NZG-19030328-872-3)
Some of the 300 cyclists gathered at “Calliope”, the Mayor’s residence in Northcote, for the opening of the Birkdale Cycle Track. (Image: NZ Graphic, 28 March 1903. Auckland Library Heritage Collections NZG-19030328-872-1)
Mr Witheford, the Mayor of Northcote, making the opening speech. (Image: NZ Graphic, 28 March 1903. Auckland Library Heritage Collections NZG-19030328-872-2)
Categories
Share this