The Hotties is a terrific name for a diverse group of women on road bikes. Of course, the name is more to do with the support the group receives from HOT Cycles in St Heliers (and its sibling shop Mt Eden Cycles) than a term of self-congratulation. But, as ride leader Emma Hadley explains below, congratulations are indeed in order…
Started in September 2015, the Hotties are an amazing and inclusive group of women, from students to grandparents, whose numbers have gone from strength to strength. What I love about the Hotties is that we have become much more than just a biking group. Everyone has become great friends despite (or maybe because of) the diversity, with 17 year olds happily mixing with 60+ year old riders.
All the Hotties help to inspire and motivate other female riders, and we want to encourage more women to join us.
We offer escorted rides for ladies of all abilities:
- Tuesday evenings, we do an easy spin ride. We meet at 6.45pm at HOT Cycles and ride around the St Heliers area for an hour.
- Thursday mornings, we ride from Mt Eden Cycles at 6.00am (this is a faster paced ride, so not for beginners).
- Sunday mornings, we set off from Hot Cycles at 7.00am for rides that vary in distance and destination each week.
- Regular ‘Big Roadies’, challenging rides (generally 100k+), with lots of climbing and social events.
- We also run camps and gatherings for women.
Also, the Hotties have recently teamed up with the Unicorn Foundation, a charity seeking a cure for neuroendocrine cancer, for a Sunday ride with a difference. On Sunday 3rd July, 100 women will ride 100k, the ‘Hotties 100’, to raise money and awareness for the Unicorn Foundation.
If you are interested in joining us for this ride (or you would like to donate) please visit this page.
And if 100km sounds too far, don’t be put off – there’s also a 50k option. Siobhan from the Unicorn Foundation will be joining us on this challenge. She’s only recently bought herself a road bike, and would love the company of other newish riders!
If you would like more information about the Hotties, please check out our Facebook page or email me at email@example.com
— Emma Hadley