Biking is catching on as a transport choice for Aucklanders – and we know lots more would love to try it. Sometimes it’s great to know someone else has been there before you, gotten through the initial questions, or had a especially brilliant idea about how to work bikes into the equation of everyday life. Read on!
Great bike stories
- How Jessica got back on her bike… and wound up with a whole bunch of them!
- How Teau took up biking, changed himself, and changed his ‘hood.
- Getting on a bike sets Simon’s thoughts flying. We love his stories about childhood hijinks, watching his daughter learn to ride, and why biking’s for the birds.
- Carol is a 3rd-generation bike fan, bringing Cambridge style to Auckland.
- Daniel reckons he’s just a dad on a bike… but with this electrified bike, Auckland is his oyster.
- A little goes a long way at Bikes for Refugees. Read how a bike changed Joelle’s life.
- Leery of lycra? Pop over to Auckland Bike Style to see gorgeous people in gorgeous clothes just getting about on bikes.
- So not into speed? The Wheeled Pedestrian is a big fan of life in the slow lane.
- Want a pump track in your neighbourhood? Read about families creating bike tracks in their local parks, in Grey Lynn and out west.
- You wont believe how Chris and his local soccer club took 40 cars off the street each weekend…
Bonus bike videos
- Everyone who operates any kind of vehicle should take this awareness test
- What happened when NYC cyclist Casey Neistat tried to stay in the bike lanes no matter what
- A hypnotic 2 min glimpse of what a bike-friendly city looks like (filmed in Amsterdam and Utrecht)
- ‘Beauty and the Bike‘ – an 8min documentary about what makes teen girls ride bikes (and what stops them)
And here’s a collection of quickfire talks from Auckland Pecha Kucha Night: Bike Edition 2015
- A physicist looks at the physics of bicycles
- Jimi (age 10) talks about biking to school in South Auckland
- The story of #Friding – how a made-up word gave people permission to get back on a bike
- How to build a Bike Burb – a report from Te Atatu
- Jessica traces her return to the bike life
- Teau’s talk will knock your socks off