We’re counting the days till Open Streets on Sunday! Remember, Quay St will be closed to cars and open to people from 10-4. The weather forecast is brilliant, and the buses and trains will bring you right to where the action is. So will the ferries, if you’re looking to combine downtown with the Devonport markets. It’s going to be a vortex of activity.
In fact: want to spend an hour chatting about how to make Auckland better on bikes, and spreading the word about the good work Cycle Action does? WE’D LOVE A FEW EXTRA VOLUNTEERS! If you’re keen to help out in our purple and green tent, drop us a line ASAP.
There’ll be so many fun things to do on the day. Here are 5 great bike activities we’re getting behind:
1. Our Bike Gang Challenge is picking up pace, with some pretty incredible prizes and free gifts for everyone who takes part. Pop over to the event page and check it out. It’s not too late to get a gang together, and remember, no gang’s too small – everyone wins a prize!
These are the categories so far:
- Biggest gang wins a $500 voucher from Hip Group‘s restaurants- yum, where best to spend it??
- Lightest adult bike wins a set of USB-rechargeable Volt lights (front and back) from AvantiPlus
- Most original custom bike, ditto
- Oldest rider: a set of Monkeylectric lights from Bells and Whistles
- Furthest distance ridden to get to Open Streets: a Saiko U-lock from Blend.
- Best dressed gang (uniform or costume): a $150 foodies voucher redeemable at New World
- Raddest retro ride: TBA
- Youngest rider: TBA
Check in and get your group photo taken at the Cycle Action tent, and collect your freebie.
2. Whether you arrive en masse or on your tod, come and visit our first-ever Bike Photo Booth. You can get a free, cute pic of you and your bike (or borrow one of ours!) against a special green-screen backdrop, and upload it straight to Twitter/ Instagram/ Facebook.
3. Visit our neighbours in the BIKE BURBS tent, run by the fabulous Bike Te Atatu and friends. Come and connect with other bikeminded people in your ‘hood, find out how to start up a local bike group, and learn how to turn your neck of the woods into a bike village.
5. PLUS! There’s a special prize draw for those who come to our tent and sign up for Cycle Action’s email list on the day!
We are always keen to work on your behalf – and the more of you we know there are out there, the harder we work. Imagine if we could tell the city that we speak on behalf of a thousand, ten thousand, or a hundred thousand people who are eager to get out there on two wheels. Imagine the transformation in our streets, once it’s clear how many of us there are.
That’s our vision. Lend us your name and we’ll make it so.
And if you sign up on the day, you’ll go into the draw for one of these rad new Volta jackets by Avanti ($400 retail value). It glows in the dark! No, really, it does. Here’s another way to win one, too, for you Facebook folk.
Still reading? Good! Because there are also bike tours organised by NextBike (free, but book soon to be sure of a place!). BMX demonstrations – bring yours, and learn new tricks. Tanya Batt, the fabulous storyteller on a bike. Decorate-your-bike stations. Bike maintenance workshops. And that’s just the bike activities – there’s so much more.
Find more details at the official Open Streets page, or just show up on Sunday and have a wander around. The street will be ours to play in.
So let’s play!