Messing about on bikes, whether for fitness or fun, is even more enjoyable with a like-minded bunch. Your eye might be caught by the lycra-clad weekenders whizzing along the waterfront, or a quiet group ambling out for coffee and back. But there are so many other ways to ride with a group.
The trick is to find – or create – the kind of group that’s right for you. Ask around, check with local bike shops, and find a group to suit your idea of fun or achievement.
We’ve listed a few options below. Please let us know of others!
- Got other friends the same level? Email & Facebook make it easy to set up a group that may go on a jaunt often, weekly or monthly. Give yourselves a name and you’re good to go!
- The venerable ACTA (Auckland Cycle Touring Association) has led the way since 1949; the East Auckland Seniors Cycling Club is just another of many such friendly groups, and the Grey Lynn Cycle Club Juniors is a great example of how a couple of families set up a kid-friendly regular ride.
- Most bike shops offer regular rides – see what’s on offer at your local, or call around
- Frocks on Bikes does casual, achievable, and often very glamorous rides to sweet destinations
- Want to light up the night? Check out the regular Bike Raves or keep an eye out for Triple Teez’ Matariki Rides
- Here’s a helpful list of road cycling groups, in Auckland and beyond
- If you’re into BMX tricks, head to your nearest BMX park or club
- Off-road you’re after? The Auckland MTB Club knows where to go
- You could start a ride for a particular style of bike, too – begin with a gathering and see where it goes. This Cargo Bike Picnic is a fine model.