There will be lots of good things for cycling in the coming Auckland Plan. That is, there will be a lot of good things UNLESS the “sensible people” manage to convince our politicians that the status quo is best. Prove them wrong!
If you don’t have the time to read up on the plan yourself, you can spend just five minutes writing an email to make your voice heard. Submit on the Auckland Plan (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name, your address, and whether or not you would like to speak at the hearing (or use the online submission form).
Then consider saying:
- Support the Regional Cycle Network: With more funding. With more off-road cycleways. With more bold, quality projects.
- Support the City Rail Tunnel: Because it will transform our city from the suburbs to the core – and change the “cars only” mentality that is holding us back.
- Support better parking regulations: Reduce minimum car parking for people and developers who don’t want it – and make bike parking required in all new developments.
- Support the fight against sprawl: The “Rural-Urban Boundary” is needed for targeted infrastructure investment – because we want an Auckland that can grow, without growing out of control.
In the same email you can also support key moves of the City Centre Masterplan (which is a component of the big Auckland Plan). We think the most important things are:
- Support two-waying of Nelson and Hobson Streets. With off-road cycleways protected from car traffic!
- Support new cycling links from the inner suburbs, such as turning the old Nelson Street off-ramp into a linear parkway!
- Support more shared spaces, “green links”, laneways and boulevards – everything that will make our city centre more friendly to people!
In the same email you can also support key moves of the draft Waterfront Plan (which is a component of the big Auckland Plan). We think the most important things are:
- Support the walk- and cycleway proposed along the whole of the waterfront. Off-road all the way please!
- Support a cycling bridge link over Fanshawe Street at Victoria Park – because if we want to cycle to Wynyard Quarter, we prefer not to dodge heavy bus and car traffic!
- Support a walk- and cycleway over the Auckland Harbour Bridge – for a great transport choice from the North Shore, and a major new visitor attraction for the waterfront!
Cycle Action will fight for all these things, and for a lot more. But we need your support, so Council knows we aren’t a lone voice. Tell them the kind of Auckland you want to see!