Are you passionate about the many benefits that riding bikes (and walking, scooting, using mobility devices and so on!) can bring for whānau (family) and their communities?
Do you have a desire to make Tāmaki Makaurau, Auckland, more accessible and safer for people who want to ride a bike (for transport as well as for recreation)?
Are you passionate about reducing barriers to inclusion for disabled people, our rainbow community, and ethnic communities?
Do you believe in the power of community-led initiatives to create positive change?
We would love you to join our team!
Bike Auckland is a non-profit organisation working for a better region for people on bikes. As the independent voice for cycling in Tāmaki Makaurau, Auckland, we lead the push for positive change, on behalf of everyone who rides a bike in our region – and everyone who would love to give it a go – making safer, more live-able streets, and making it easier to be good kaitiaki (guardians / stewards) for Papatūānuku (Earth).
Bike Auckland advocates for a better region on bikes, advising on best practice design and activating a diverse and joyful community of whānau on bikes. Join our activation team and support communities to encourage a joy-full, confident, and active pahikara (bike) culture in neighbourhoods throughout Tāmaki Makaurau, Auckland.
Community Activation Manager
We are seeking a community-minded facilitator. As Community Activation Manager you would support 34 community-led bike advocacy groups across Tāmaki Makaurau, Auckland. We call these groups Bike ‘Burbs and they help to reduce barriers to cycling in their communities (eg. through fixing bikes for free, organising fun whānau-friendly group pahikara (bike) rides, and advocating for safer streets). Your mahi (work) would be in local communities strengthening existing bike burbs (as far South as Pukekohe to as far North as Whangaparāoa) and inspiring more across the region to get started.
This is a paid role, and will be on average 30 hours per week. You would work directly with our Communications Manager, Volunteer and Events Manager, and Admin Support, forming our core team ‘the Crew’ led by our Chief Biking Officer. We are a small, collaborative and agile team committed to providing a strong voice for people on bikes across the region – while also having a lot of fun!
Essential values, experience, skills and attributes you will ideally bring to the role:
- You are passionate about the many benefits that riding bikes can bring for whānau and the wider community
- You have a desire to make Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland more accessible and safer for people who want to ride a bike (for transport as well as for recreation)
- You have a passion for community and a strong belief that community-led initiatives can drive change
- You are passionate about diversity and inclusion. You want to reduce barriers to inclusion for disabled people, our rainbow community, and ethnic communities
- Your previous experience in, or around, community-led volunteer groups has given you an understanding of the difficulties and barriers they face
- Experience working with, or a background in, South Auckland communities, and Pasifika and Māori communities is desirable.
- A facilitator, eager to encourage Bike Burbs to lead the way, and to support their priorities
- Team builder and networker – you build strong and effective relationships within the community (with individuals as well as with community hubs like Marae, eco-centres, kura (schools), sports clubs, churches), as well as with our key stakeholders and with our Crew. You support Bike Burbs to build healthy core teams.
- An inspirer – you are able to support others to build their confidence, facilitating them to become self-empowered and motivated into action
- Good communication skills; able to use social media and the Google suite (or willing to learn)
- Flexible – we make plans, but we react fast when opportunity presents itself
- You are self-motivated, able to organise and prioritise.
- Create and carry out the Bike Burbs Programme goals
- Connect Bike Burbs through social media, and in-person or online hui (meetups / meetings)
- Work with Bike Burbs on marketing to grow awareness
- Guide Bike Burbs to identify funding and support for their goals
- Support Bike Burbs local events and programmes
- Develop and update Bike Auckland resources for Bike Burbs
- Engage Bike Burbs to support well-designed cycling infrastructure
- Act as a liaison between Bike Burbs, Bike Auckland, Auckland Council and Auckland Transport on infrastructure and cycleway developments
- Build and maintain relationships with key groups such as Auckland Transport, Auckland Council, Panuku, Waka Kotahi, Local Boards
- Support delivery of campaigns such as Biketober and events such as Bike Raves
What’s in it for you?
This is a job for a passionate, collaborative, community-minded, and self-motivated person, who will feel rewarded, empowered, and fulfilled from this mahi (work). The role provides the opportunity to work flexibly, from home, or from our shared office space, and includes some travel around the Tāmaki Makaurau, Auckland, region to meet with different groups. We offer the chance to join an innovative and dedicated team who are proud to speak up for a better Tāmaki Makaurau, Auckland.
Even if you think you don’t tick all of the boxes, we encourage you to apply. You might be exactly who we are looking for.
Please email Fiáin d’Leafy your CV and let us know what motivates you to apply for this role. You may do this through any medium, eg. video, email, slideshow: email@example.com
We welcome applications from people of all cultural backgrounds, sexualities, and gender expressions.
Applications close 18 October 2022. Please see our job description for more information.